Common Name : Dwarf Date Palm
Also known as Pygmy Date Palm this is a popular plant used in Tropical gardens. It is the smallest variety of the Date Palm family and is origionally from Asia. Slow growing and long lived. It can produce flowers and black berries as it ages. Be careful when trimming it, as it has sharp spiky fronds.
- Plant UsesTropical and Coastal gardens. Also can be grown in a pot. Can be put inside for a short while in a well lit area.
- Water RequirementsDrought tolerant once established. Regular deep watering in its growing season.
- Plant availabilityAvailable now
- PositionFull sun to part shade
- Height / Width3 m high by 2 m wide
- CareFeed with either Blood and Bone, Manure, Compost or Liquid food. It is not self cleaning like some other palms so cut off old discoloured branches to keep it looking tidy. Tolerates light frosts. Mulch well.
- SoilWell drained soil