Common Name : Bangalow Palm
Graceful robust palm native to Australia. It is a self cleaning palm meaning the fronds fall off automatically when finished. Leaves grow up to 2m long. Once established they are a tough, easycare palm which requires no maintenance at all. The name Bangalow is Aborigional for water carrying basket. Fast growing with a shallow fibrous root system that doesn't attack building foundations or pipes. Smooth trunk with spaced rings.
- Plant UsesTropical gardens
- Water RequirementsRegular deep watering
- Plant availabilityAvailable now
- PositionFull sun to part shade
- Height / WidthCan grow up to 25m tall but in cultivation rarely grow more than 12-15m
- CareHeavy feeders. Give slow release fertiliser regularly and organic matter in addition to the slow release. Mulch heavily but keep away from trunk to avoid root rot. Requires bright light and fresh air. Sponge fronds to keep clean.
- SoilCan handle soggy soils but well draining soil is best